Everything You Need to Know About Olympian Greg Bretz
Image via Grind TV
Greg Bretz is a Mammoth Lakes local through and through, making his first runs on a snowboard at age 5 at June Mountain Ski Area, while his father worked lift maintenance at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area.
Sponsors: Frends, Mammoth Mountain, Nike 6.0, Red Bull, Mophie, Ethika
Ranking: 6th, HP, 2013
He began competing at the age of 11, and by 2008 was creating a buzz on the snowboarding scene with podium finishes and wins on both the World Cup and Grand Prix circuits.
In the summer, Bretz enjoys the many activities Mammoth Lakes has to offer, including skateboarding and riding his dirt bike.
Most recently, the 23-year-old Bretz continued to shake things up by upsetting Shaun White, the two-time reigning Olympic halfpipe champion, in the first of five Olympic selection events in Breckenridge, Colo., in December 2013.
Bretz won the Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships and is currently on track to make the 2014 U.S. Olympic Snowboard team. He will compete in the Mammoth Mountain leg of the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix, Jan. 16-19.
Career Highlights & Recent Wins
Image via UT San Diego
- Olympics 12th, HP, Vancouver 2010
- X Games: 5th, HP, Aspen, CO 2013 // 7th, HP, Aspen, CO 2012
- Grand Prix: 2nd, HP, Sprint U.S. Grand Prix, Mammoth Mountain, CA 2012
- World Cup: Two top ten finishes in 2013 season
Image via Red Bull
- Greg is a Capricorn. His birthday is December 19.
- In 2010 he was the youngest member of the men’s U.S. Snowboard team at the Vancouver Olympics. He was 19 years old.
- Greg Bretz 2nd at the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix at Copper – U.S. Snowboarding
- Greg Bretz’s run from snowboard superpipe final
Articles Featuring Greg Bretz
- Greg Bretz takes out Shaun White for the Dew Tour Pipe win
- Father and Son, Together on a Halfpipe Quest NY Times
- Greg Bretz on USsnowboarding.com
- Greg Bretz on the Dew Tour
- Bretz Upsets White in Olympic Qualifier
- Greg Bretz on Mammoth Mountain’s Snowboard Team
- Latest Competition Results on FIS